Understanding Arc Flash Clothing and the Rating
When it comes to safety, it is best to play it safe. Playing it safe starts with an understanding of what ratings mean, and when it comes to arc flash clothing, understanding the rating is an easy method that will insure you maximum protection when things get hot. Arcing flashes are a fact of life that can be extremely volatile and cause severe injury and even death. However, manufacturers follow regulations that insure your apparel is going to be the safest possible allowing you to work free from worry.
There are a few hazard categories you will find when it comes to what needs to be worn with the condition or situation within the workplace environment.
1. Hazard category -1 requires personal protection equipment, or PPE, that includes long pants of natural fibers, a t-shirt, and simple safety goggles. This does not provide a minimal rating so would not be appropriate for working in such an environment where the rating must be clearly present.
2. Hazard category 0 requires personal protection equipment that includes long pants of natural fibers, a long sleeve shirt of your choice, and safety goggles. This does not provide a minimal rating so would, again, not be appropriate for working in an area where the rating is necessary.
3. Hazard category 1 requires personal protection equipment that includes flame resistant shirts, pants, hard hat, leather gloves, safety goggles, leather shoes, or you can opt for flame resistant coveralls instead of the pants and shirt. This provides a rating of 4.
4. Hazard category 2 requires PPE that includes fire resistant shirt and flame resistant pants, or a flame resistant coverall, a hard hat, cotton under garments, an arc-rated face shield or flash suit hood, hearing protection, leather shoes, and leather gloves. This will provide you with a rating of 8.
5. Hazard category 3 requires PPE that includes cotton undergarments, flame resistant pants and shirt PLUS a set of flame resistant coveralls, a hard hat, flash suit hood, hard hat, leather shoes, leather gloves, and hearing protection. This will provide a rating of 25.
6. Hazard category 4 requires PPE that includes safety goggles, hearing protection, flame resistant shirt, flame resistant pants, cotton undergarments, leather gloves, leather shoes, and a full flash suit with hood. This will provide a rating of 40.
The rating indicates the exact amount of thermal energy that the arc flash clothing will protect against. These will offer the maximum protection against a blast or explosion. In addition, you will discover that having the minimum protection you need is going to promote a healthy work habit which will allow you as well as your employer to meet regulations and avoid steep fines.
Flashes occur generally on accident. Since we cannot prevent accidents completely, the best way to avoid injury is to prepare for the unexpected. Purchasing the right type of arc flash clothing and equipment is vitally important, but it is also important to have the appropriate rules in place for when an accident does happen. Have emergency numbers, and report the accident to insure you follow appropriate guidelines for your industry.
The Uniform Connection offers a full line of uniforms. Our uniforms include scrubs, work apparel, school uniforms, corporate apparel, flame resistant work wear, food service, sports clothing, law enforcement and security, outerwear, hospitality service, shoes, work boots. Looking for a custom quote on embroidered apparel, silk screening, or need name tags, custom patches, or need to set up a uniform program, then give us a call at 1-877-786-6311. We can also provide your organization with safety equipment, medical equipment or promotional products. Our home office is located in Houston, Texas with warehouses located throughout the United States that enable us to service all 50 states including Los Angeles, CA, New York, NY, San Antonio, Texas, Phoenix, AZ, Fort Worth, Charlotte, North Carolina, San Diego, California, Raleigh, NC, Henderson, Nevada, Las Vegas, Sacramento, Jacksonville, Mesa, Arizona, Gilbert Town, Chandler, AZ, North Las Vegas, Stockton, Irvine, Riverside, Chula Vista, Bakersfield, Rancho Cucamonga, Fresno, California, Albuquerque, New Mexico, Fontana, Arlington, TX, Tucson, AZ, Laredo, Texas, El Paso, TX, Plano, Dallas, TX., Peoria, Arizona, Aurora, Illinois, Modesto, CA, Corona, CA. Joliet, IL, Oklahoma City, OK, Columbus, Ohio, Brownsville, TX, Cape Coral, FL, Austin, TX, Scottsdale, AZ, Moreno Valley, California, Miami, Florida, Omaha, Nebraska, Virginia Beach, VA, Tampa, FL, Glendale, Arizona, Aurora, Colorado, Long Beach, CA, Fort Wayne, Indiana, Reno, Nevada, Orlando, FL, Santa Clarita, CA, Chesapeake, Virginia, Pembroke Pines, FL, Durham, NC, Overland Park, Kansas, Palmdale, CA, Anchorage, AL, Fort Lauderdale, FL, Oxnard, CA, Madison, Wisconsin, Wichita, KS, Lincoln, NE, San Bernardino, CA, Sioux Falls, South Dakota, Colorado Springs, CO, Naperville, IL, Coral Springs, FL., Portland, Oregon, Ontario, CA, Grand Prairie, TX, Honolulu, HI, Vancouver, Washington, Norfolk, VA, Thousand Oaks, Pasadena, Lancaster, Fort Collins, CO, Lubbock, Atlanta, Lexington-Fayette, KY, Oceanside, CA, Huntsville, AL, Salem, Oregon, Santa Rosa, El Monte, Simi Valley, Glendale, Fullerton, Torrance, Pomona, Huntington Beach, Santa Ana, CA, Seattle, WA, Greensboro, NC, Amarillo and Mesquite, TX.
Flame Resistant Work Wear | Bulwark Flame Resistant Clothing | Disposable Flame Resistant Cloth | Excel Flame Resistant | Firewear Apparel | Flame Resistant Clothing Product | Flame Resistant High Visibility | Molten Metal Protection Apparel | Nomex Flame Resistant | PBI Gold Flame Resistant
Flame Resistant Workwear | Carhartt Flame Resistant |
Shirts Pants Jeans Unlined Coveralls Coats Jackets Liner | Excel FR Comfortouch
Shirts Pants Unlined Coveralls Unlined Bib Overalls Jackets Liner Insulated Coveralls Insulated Bib Overalls Insulated Parkas Hoods |
Flame Resistant Bandana | Flame Resistant Coveralls | Flame Resistant Dungarees | Flame Resistant Hard Hat Accessories | Flame Resistant Henleys Shirts | Flame Resistant Hoods | Flame Resistant Jackets, Coats, | Flame Resistant Jeans | Flame Resistant Knit Caps | Flame Resistant Lab Coats | Flame Resistant Liners | Flame Resistant Long Sleeve Mock | Flame Resistant Overalls | Flame Resistant Pants | Flame Resistant Parkas | Flame Resistant Polo Shirts | Flame Resistant Shirts | Flame Resistant Sweatshirt Fleece | Flame Resistant Tee Shirts | Flame Resistant Vests | Flame Resistant Work Coat | Womens Flame Resistant Clothes |
Shirts Pants Unlined Coveralls Lab Coat Unlined Bib Overalls Jackets Liner Insulated Coveralls Insulated Bib Overalls Insulated Parkas Accessories | Nomex Blend
Shirts | NOMEX® AP
Shirt Pant | FR Hi-Visibility
Shirts Vests | FR Hi-Visibility Rainwear |
Firewear Shirts | PBI Gold Shirts Jeans Unlined Coveralls | Molten Metal Protection Shirts Pants | FR Disposables